Everyone is using social media and mobile technology and when I say everyone…I literally mean everyone. When it comes to the “everyone,” the healthcare industry is no exception. You may be wondering, how is my doctor, insurance company or hospital getting in on the act? How can social media and mobile technology possibly be beneficial for myself as well as my doctor, insurance company or hospital?
Despite the fact that I am one to avoid healthcare settings at all costs, I’ve found mobile and social media technology extremely beneficial on those rare occasions that I do need to break out my insurance card and see a doctor, I’ve found technology to be extremely beneficial; especially when you lead a hectic lifestyle and don’t have time to hold on the phone to make an appointment or ask a question.
Mobile technology and social media in the healthcare industry are perfect for the on-the-go professional or the person who just doesn’ t want or have the time to wait around all day.
Here’s a look at some of the ways healthcare systems, doctors, and hospitals are taking advantage of technology:
- Make or cancel an appointment from your computer or mobile phone. You’ll no longer have to listen to elevator music or a recording telling you there are 30 people in front of you, please hold!
- View test results. While your doctor’s office is likely to call you if you have test results that are concerning, many hospitals and doctors offices have mobile apps and websites that allow you to view test results on your own. My doctor’s office, for instance, will give you blood test results and even the reports to imaging tests online. (It is important to read these results thoroughly and ask your doctor if you still have questions to avoid sending yourself into a panic!)
- See what visits or immunizations you may be due for. Many hospitals will keep track of your healthcare record online. This makes it easy for you to see when the last time you had a physical was or when you received a flu shot.
- Pay your bills. Whether you have hospital bills or insurance bills, pay everything from your phone or computer. No need to risk things getting lost in the mail.
- View your health insurance claims and explanations of benefits. No more drowning in a sea of papers.
- Follow your doctor, hospital or insurance company online. Stay informed about the latest happenings, events or offerings from those who play a key role in your health!